Roofstock is an innovative new marketplace and transaction platform for investing in the $2 trillion single-family rental sector. As part of our company culture, we are passionate about helping our customers find the best real estate investments. Strong emphasis on collaboration and teamwork is the norm, not to mention that we make time to celebrate our awesome accomplishments and each other!
Roofstock has been certified as a great workplace by the independent analysts at Great Place to Work® based on ratings provided by our employees in anonymous surveys. Check out our company review and see why our employees love working here!
Roofstock is looking for a hands-on and talented (Senior) Data Engineer to help Roofstock build great data products. The candidate should have experience writing programs in Python that ingest data from APIs / websites / other data sources, developing and maintaining automated ETL / ELT pipelines, and writing and debugging complex SQL queries. He or she should have hands on experience with modern databases / data warehouses / data lakes as well as experience with structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data. The data engineer will help Roofstock discover, mine, combine, normalize, and maintain data, all while improving its quality over time. The data engineer will also help automate all data processes, build scalable data infrastructure, and develop self-service data tools at Roofstock.
The data team at Roofstock is a small, tight-knit team at a rapidly growing Roofstock. As a data engineer, you will have a high degree of authority and autonomy. You must be capable of managing multiple high-priority tasks in a timely manner while collaborating across the business. A successful data engineer at Roofstock needs to be independent & self-starting, innovative, detail-oriented, and team-focused.
What you will do
- Develop data-driven products. Create and maintain automated, robust, scalable data processes & pipelines.
- For example, write an automated pipeline using Python, SQL, and shell scripting that periodically downloads data from a website, performs complex transformations & calculations on the data, and uploads the final result to a database.
- Help mine, combine, normalize, and enhance data. Be able to deal with imperfect data. Help evaluate various data sources.
- Create web-based self-service data tools.
- Write testable & maintainable code. Maintain the code base using Git. Manage the project using Jira. Write technical specs and document the project in a wiki.
- Continually improve the quality of the data and automated data processes over time.
- SQL, Python, Linux / Azure / Windows shell scripting, database schema design.
- Experience with SQL / Python development environments like Microsoft SSMS, JupyterHub, etc.
- Experience with writing programs that extract data from APIs and websites.
- Have written and developed automated ETL / ELT processes before:
- Data ingestion, data cleaning, data transformation, data loading.
- Error handling, backfill, monitoring, metrics.
- Worked before with structured, semi-structured, unstructured, and spatial data.
- Database administration skills (data I/O, performance optimization, etc.), especially with MS SQL Server / Azure SQL DB.
- Experience working in an engineering organization and using common development tools like Git, Jira, etc.
- Experience with modern data tools and databases; ability to work with both open source and commercial tools.
- Basic understanding of statistics.
- Quick learner: organized, logical thought processes, and good memory.
Nice to Haves
- Experience programming in R, Scala, JQL.
- Experience with any of the following:
- Snowflake data warehouse, AWS S3, Domino Data Lab, Tableau.
- Data mining people data (phone numbers, emails, etc.).
- Frequent user of cloud computing platforms such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, or Google Cloud Platform.
- Mixpanel, Salesforce, Hubspot.
- Any modern databases / data warehouses / data lakes / automated data pipeline management platforms.
- Big Data technologies like Spark, Hadoop, NoSQL databases (MongoDB, etc.).
- Formulating and writing SQL for KPI metrics.
- Relational / graph databases like Neo4j.
- Elasticsearch, Solr, Splunk, log file analysis.
- Apache Kafka, Azure Event Hub / Service Bus.
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Web scraping (requests, beautiful soup, selenium, etc.).
- Security management, data lifecycle management.
- Experience with financial technology / analytics and real estate data.
Experience and Education Guidelines
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent.
- At least 3 years of experience in data engineering working with modern data tools.
- Conscientious and well organized. Eager to produce results and drive forward progress while managing deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communications, including the ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex concepts to both technical and non-technical collaborators.
- An entrepreneurial spirit as well as passion for solving difficult challenges through innovation and creativity, with a strong focus on results.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation.
- Medical, Vision and Dental for you (100%) and your dependents (50%).
- Pre-tax commuter benefits.
- Unlimited vacation and sick days.
- Equity incentives to give you a stake in the Company’s future.
- An upbeat and collaborative work culture.
- A fully stocked kitchen with snacks and meals.
- Company-sponsored outings.
Please send your resume to Huang Pan, firstname.lastname@example.org
The marginal functions of this position have not been included. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed. An employee will be required to follow any other job-related duties required by the manager.
Roofstock is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Roofstock, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.Send Your Resume Now